Monday, February 1, 2010

The Con's & Pro's of Dumbing Down A Resume

Over 75% of job seekers I come into contact with have 2nd thoughts about their resume. They are unsure if it is a 20th Century fact sheet or a 21st Century marketing document, and if it exudes an aura of professionalism or makes them appear pedestrian. Furthemore, most job seekers want to improve their submit-to-interview ratio and be able to tweak their resume for different jobs but are stymied when it comes down to the nitty gritty of how to accomplish this.

The smartest ones seek out Subject Matter Experts to see what seasoned pros have to say. This is why I encourage people to send me a copy of their resume for a Free Resume Critique. (perry@perrynewman.com)

But let’s be honest, professional resume writers do not all agree on what constitutes a great resume. However I believe I can put down in writing -and I will - that 95% of us agree on these two points: There Are No Universal Rules and One Size Does Not Fit All.

So just like wise job hunters network and seek answers from other professionals on how to improve their job search efforts, so too professional resume writers and career coaches must ask questions in order to improve the relevance and quality of their work.

Which brings me to this week’s topic: “When is it a smart move to Dumb Down your resume – if ever?

During the Q&A session of a national webinar I conducted last week, I was asked by an entry level paralegal job seeker with a Masters degree in Education whether she should leave her advanced degree off her resume and only list her BA and Paralegal Certification. She said she was told by people in the field that her Masters degree makes her appear overqualified.

My immediate reaction (and that of others in the audience) was to leave it on because a Masters degree in and of itself indicates value, whether it relates to the job directly or not; and this was how I answered the question.

Nevertheless when I got home I had second thoughts about my answer in this context and whether it applies universally. So the next day I posed this question to some of my Linked-In contacts to get their reactions. They ran the gamut from fellow resume writers and career coaches, to HR professionals and direct hiring authorities in different professions and industries. Some had an undergraduate degree, some postgraduate degrees, some were MBA’s, and some even had PhD’s.

By and large out of the responses I received the vast majority stated that as a general rule a Masters Degree should be included on you resume under all circumstances, and all agreed this is the case if the degree is an MBA. Most told me that it’s impractical to “Dumb Down” one’s education on a resume, and not surprisingly this group believes a resume is not the forum to address being overqualified. Some answers were based solely on the basis of academics while others were based on whether the degree left an employment gap on the resume.

If you’re also struggling with this dilemma, let me share a few of the actual responses so you can get a better feel on how it applies in your unique situation.

1: Keep it on, especially if you have a work history, if even a retail job, while completing your degree full time. I did my MBA full time while working a retail gig 30+ hours a week. Prospective employers were impressed by the drive I showed by continuing to work while getting my degree full time -- especially since my retail gig involved training younger associates.

2: I don't believe in ever ‘dumbing’ down educational credentials. In every job scenario it is important to show exactly who you are so that in a hiring situation the hiring manager knows what he or she is hiring. It is the hiring person's decision IF a person is overqualified or not!

3: Speaking as a college recruiter, consultant and former senior business leader, NEVER omit any educational experiences. Completing any advanced degree or even a certificate shows your investment in yourself and your desire to acquire knowledge to do a better or more efficient job. Improving one's critical thinking skills and abilities is never a bad move. The term "overqualified" is an excuse used by some managers to limit any perceived "issues" later in the employment. It indicates an organization's inability to grasp the whole situation and underscores their shortsightedness. It can also be the easy way out when explaining a rejection. With so many people retooling and moving laterally or even in reverse to get a better shot at the top, any feedback that reads like over qualified suggested the hiring manager is under qualified.

4: I always go for completeness and transparency when it comes to the resumes I do for my clients. I encourage them to directly address the question that might arise ("Why would you be applying for this job with an advanced degree?") in a cover letter or certainly in an interview. There are lots of positive reasons that might be plausible (trying to break into a new field, trying to fill in a gap in your experience, trying to find a job with regular hours since your spouse travels a lot, etc.).

However the minority of the respondents - as of now 71% said keep it on - those who took the other side in this query, made a very compelling case for their point of view as well. ().he So let’s hear what they have to say.

1: I've been in career coaching, hiring, and marketing for 20+ years... The only time your degree is really important is when they request a specific one or you are looking for an academic position. ALWAYS take off a PhD. The only legitimate Masters degree is an MBA, unless you are applying for an MSN, or MSW position, or a position that states specifically that you must have it.

2: It depends on the work history listed on the resume and the potential position. As a former hiring manager for administrative positions, I would wonder why someone with a Masters would apply for an administrative job.

3: I have Three Masters degrees Msc Engineering, MS, Finance and Technology and an EMBA and will be done with my course work for a Ph.D. this summer. Every small consulting job I got stems from my non degreed resume. Most jobs I have applied for with my full degree, I have been interviewed by people who become defensive and say “you are not Strategic enough”, or “you are not tactical enough,” “You are too strategic,” etc. confusing contrasts. So I think if the job does not want a degree really don't put it there

4: I guess it depends on what the rest of the resume looks like. If she has a history of working as a paralegal, I would leave it on. If she is in a different position in between jobs, I might leave it off as it may send the message that this job is just a temp way to pay bills until something more suitable opens up.

As you can plainly see, the opinions expressed on this topic - as in most resume related questions - are purely subjective. There is no one universal response; with the closest one to universal being not to omit an MBA off of a resume.

If you’re struggling with this question, or any question relating to a job search for that matter, I suggest you do what I do. Seek out Subject Matter Experts, ascertain their opinions, and after examining their outlooks see what makes the most sense for you. Remember the answer is not determined by ‘Majority Rules.’ You can do decide to do whatever you’re most comfortable with even if it is not the most popular opinion.

PS: If you have any topics you want me to discuss in future blogs, please tweet me at perrynewmancpc

No comments:

Post a Comment